The 8 Signs of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Try These Methods Before Surgeries
This syndrome is the main cause of hand, wrist and finger issues. 4% of people have numb, tingling and hurting hands.
- Loss of hand functions
- Hard time gripping
- Pins and needles feeling
The signs are relieved with flicking of hands and this gets worse at night. This might improve with time, but it might also progress and leave permanent muscle/nerve damage.
What makes carpal tunnel?
This is located in the palm wrist and is made of wrist bones on 3 sides and 4th is the ligament. The tunnel is the place of the median nerve. This nerve makes muscle function in the hand and when squeezed, the nerve impulses are blocked all the way.
The real cause for this is unclear, but it might be irritated membranes near tendons, bending of the wrist, force grasping and nerve pressure.
Dr. Axe said the common causes are bad posture, too much PC work and extended wrists work.
Also some conditions are risks too; migraine, obesity, arthritis, hypothyroidism, diabetes, autoimmune issues, wrist trauma, metabolic syndrome, female gender, pregnancy, age and such.
Tips for prevention
- Pistol grips rather than straight hand tools and no vibration tools.
- Do not wrest hands on hard surfaces
- Take breaks from hand movements
- At the desk or PC, adjust chair to make forearms leveled with keyboard
- Keep hands warm with fingerless gloves
- Avoid wrist bending
- Relax the grip
- Write with thick pens
Diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome
Physical examination is not so good, but testing can be done.
Nerve conduction test
Тhis means a small electrode on the skin, giving electrical current and working the nerve. This measures the hand impulse and if it needs more time, this means damaged median nerve.
Тhis tests the abnormal work of muscles provided with median nerve. Means a tiny needle measures the impulse. If this is compressed the muscles work bad.
Ultrasound and MRI
Тhese determine swelling of median nerve and tunnel abnormalities.
Conventional treating of carpal tunnel
This means drugs for inflammation, cortisone injection, wrist splinting too.
Another option is surgery or tunnel opening to relieve nerve pressure. This has good results with just 5% failure.
– this removes inflammation, swelling, pain and heals nerves, tissues, nerves. This also includes non-thermal protons of light to go in the skin and release ATP, this lowers oxidation stress and makes better cell work. Science proved that laser therapy makes better grasping, good nerves, less pain and tingling. Experts of Harvard Medical School said this is good for pain removal. This method lasts a few minutes and has no pain or side effects.
This affects the metabolic paths of nerves and daily is needed 100-150 mg B6. A study said 120 mg daily for 3 months removed pain, weakness, tingling, numbness, clumsiness.
B12 for example converts B6 in 5-phosphate. Take B complex 2 times daily with b6 extra, not more than 200 mg. take them for 3 months.
LA and alpha lipoic acid
The alpha lipoic acid is an antioxidant that removes pain. GLA is a fat acid that removes inflammation. Have supplements with alpha lipoic acid 600 mg daily and GLA 360 mg daily.
This relieves pain and inflammation, is neuroprotective and antioxidant. Mix of alpha lipoic acid 300 mg 2 times daily, curcuma 500 mg daily 2 times and B vitamin low dose for 3 months reduced pain after surgeries.
Massages, therapies, workouts, stretches improve this. And along workouts add some low laser therapy.
Foods for carpal tunnel syndrome
- B6 foods– beans, meats, green veggies
- Green drinks
- Fruits and veggies for inflammation removal
- Water – 8 oz daily or drink every 2 hours
- Chia and flax seed– for more omega 3
Foods to avoid
- Saturated fats– bacon, sausage, cheese, meats
- Alcohol– it makes more inflammation and removes b vitamins of the body
- Grains and gluten– these also make inflammation
- Sugar– makes pain
- Sodium– makes more fluid retention/swelling