Way To Reducing Lung Cancer Risk For Smokers
If you have the bad habit of smoking, the principal way that one can help themselves is to give up on smoking. Continuing to smoke and seeing other ways to reduce the risks of lung cancer is a half hearted approach. Smoking is known to harm not only the lungs but can also cause other associated problems. By increasing the levels of toxin in the blood stream, you compromise your immune system greatly. All kinds of ailments take on a graver appearance when one continues to smoke. The following steps can be taken to reduce the risks of lunch cancer in smokers.
Do Not Smoke
- Do Not Take Up The Habit – The main step towards reducing the risk of developing lung cancer is to stop smoking. Tobacco use is attributed as the major cause of lung cancer in people afflicted with such a disease across the world. It has been seen that in US alone eighty percent women and ninety percent men have smoked for which they have contracted lung cancer and finally died in the process. Thus, the main step towards reducing the risk of cancer is to not take up such a habit.
- Quit The Habit – If you are a smoker, you need to quit the habit which will help to lower the risk of lung cancer. You could try electronic cigarettes to reduce your tenacity to smoke. One should remember that, even if you quit, you need to take steps towards a healthy diet and lifestyle in order to reduce the chances of contracting such a disease.
- Seek Help – If you are a smoker and are unable to give up the habit, you need to lower the risk of lung cancer by seeking help. There are support groups where one can join to discuss their problems of not being able to quit. Such support groups allow one to express their feelings and be able to come to terms with their situation. One could also seek counseling and support to quit smoking.
Reduce Exposure To Second Hand Smoke
It is said that passive smoking is as bad as being exposed to smoke first hand. Thus, one needs to find ways to reduce chances of inhaling second hand smoke at home or in workplaces.
- Make your home smoke free – if you live with other members who smoke, try and discourage them from smoking. Even if they cannot give up the habit, they should be asked to smoke outside the close spaces where the air gets polluted easily.
- Ensure that your workplace does not make you a passive smoker – you have every right to a smoke free space in your workplace. If others are smoking close to your office workstation and subjecting you to second hand smoke, you can speak up and voice your complaint.
- Use public transport that does not allow smoking. Nowadays most public transport systems, public waiting areas do not allow people to smoke openly. One can always speak up if others are found smoking.
Reduce Exposure To Dangerous Fumes
Lung cancer can be caused not only by being exposed to tobacco fumes or smoke but also by exposure to other forms of toxic fumes and pollutants.
Reduce Use Of Chemical Household Cleaners
– We do not realize that many of our actions involve working with chemicals that release fumes which can be toxic to our lungs. When you are using household cleaners, it is best to resort to herbal or non toxic household cleaning agents. These will not release harmful fumes which can affect the lungs and increase the chances of lung cancer.
– Do you work in a factory where you are subjected to inhaling dangerous fumes? If so, find out the norms of workplace safety rules and whether your office is abiding by them. Seek medical help if you have been exposed to an unhealthy level of such toxic fumes. Consider changing such a workplace if the risks are great.
– Do you live in an industrial setting? Do you have plants and factories next to you which emit fumes all day? Such pollutants in the air will affect the residents nearby. Find out more about the factories located close to your home and whether you are at risk of contracting lung diseases like lung cancer due to constant exposure to such polluted air. You might need to consider moving t a safer and greener par of town in order to reduce such risks to your health.
Have you quit smoking to reduce the chances of lung cancer? Do you wish to be free of such risks? Get a medical checkup done and follow the preventive measures mentioned above. Awareness and prevention are the important steps to prevent the onset of such a disease.